Subject: Re: [IPk] Good News Or Not?/ Hoover quote

Dave, Carmel, Hilly et al -

thanks for sharing all your thoughts and info on DM and depression.  Quick
background: diagnosed at 3, depression for the last 4 years (now 34);
suffered bereavement in 2001 (and 2000, crap couple of years!!!), and am
presently off work due to clinical depression.

I've learned that, much as I'd like to find the cause (and then, logically,
the solution), the underlying cause of depression is about as long as a piece
of string.  All that matters is how I feel each day, and trying to work
within the limitations my health imposes.

Dave, not sure if you live alone, or whether you're working at present - all
these things will affect how you cope.  I'm living alone, and as I can't
work, I have to really fight to create a focus for each day.  I'm fortunate
in that one of my closest friends is an experienced counsellor, who's been a
great help to me  (arguably, more help than the happy pills); it's good that
you do have access to counselling of some sort.

An idea:  the only book on DM I've ever read is 'Metal Jam' - I need some new
input!!  Would it be a thought to create a brief list of helpful publications
on the website?

Anyway, this isn't helping my insomnia!  All the best, if anyone wants to
e-mail me, pls feel free.

Judi James

<< From: "Carmel Matthews" <email @ redacted>
 Hi all , there seem to have been a few articles in various journals recently
 relating to diabetes and depression, but non seem convincing or conclusive
 Having known nothing other than diabetes since I was 3 I can see that it
 would give anyone a depressive personality. I remember writing my will at
 the age of 13/14 after a dr telling me I wasn't a very `good diabetic' and
 honestly thought that I wouldn't be around to see 20 !!!. Thankfully
 conditions like diabetes in children are more openly discussed and hopefully
 facilities for children are much improved nowadays.It must be dreadful to
 have to cope with the TWO conditions and it is good to hear that the support
 of insulin pumpers helps-  don't suffer alone Carmel >>