Re: [IPk] Diet, Exercise + raised BGMIs

Hi Bev
I think the problem is almost certainly that since you're not eating much
during the day, your insulin levels are very low. When you start exercising,
you're getting an increase in BG level because there's not enough insulin in
your body to start with.
You know how if you start exercising with a high BG, it can make your BG go
up instead of down? It's the same cause - because you don't have enough
insulin to start with (won't give you the technical details but doubtless
someone else will!).
So, what you need to do is either increase your basal rate before/during
running, or take a bolus before you start, or try eating something during the
morning and bolusing for it.
I've had the same thing happen when I've not eaten much during the day and
then gone dancing in the evening without eating first. Normally I reduce my
insulin for dancing, but if I haven't eaten much during the preceding 4-5
hours and therefore not had any extra insulin, my insulin level is too low
(especially if I reduce the basal) and my BG shoots up afterwards.
I did exactly that yesterday - had lunch consisting of soup at 1pm (and
bolused 1 unit) then didn't eat again before going dancing from 6-9pm. Bg
before I started dancing was 8 - which seemed perfect. After 2 hors itwas
still 8, which I thought a bit odd. When I got home at 9.30 it was 15!