Re: [IPk] RE: hands and feet...extra question

Hi Hilly,

There is the problem with your hands 'cramping open' (so you drop
things) or 'cramping shut' (so you can't put things down)?  Whichever,
did he actually try any of the things (i.e. drugs, injections of
cortisone, exercises, splints) which _can_ work, and, he is right, are
the first things to go for, before surgery, in many 'hand things'.

What did he suggest that you do to try and lower your hba1c?

If the answer to both is 'nothing', I'd go to my GP.  The hand thing
should be routed through your GP to a hand expert, not treated by a
diabetologist.  Your GP can do the easy basic drug/wrest stuff, if
that's what's needed.

Best wishes for tomorrow,

In message <004f01c1a270$ba6fa3c0$email @ redacted>, Hilly Beattie
<email @ redacted> writes
>Hi all
>I've been in hiding for a while and skulking in the background but the recent
>mail on hands has got me interested! Last Thursday I saw my doctor at Guy's
>and raised a problem I've been increasingly experiencing. My hands are tingly
>and "freeze up" alot and I get cramp like symptoms in my feet, resulting in
>complete pain when one of them completely seized up for about half an hour
>(felt much longer as these things always do!) Anyway he replied without any
>introduction that he doesn't want to "drag in surgeons to operate on my hands
>yet as there are plenty of things he could try" Here's the embarrassing bit
>but after he said that he told me to come back in 6 months time and I didn't
>ask him anything I just walked out. I was upset as my HBA1c had gone from 9.9
>to 10.2 overall and I've had two lots of laser surgery in the past 5 months
>(due more tomorrow) but now I'm worried about what he meant! He is leaving the
>hospital so when I return it will be a new doctor. I guess thats a good thing
>as when I was telling him I'm keen to do anything to lower my constantly high
>blood he told me to consider myself lucky as he had spent the morning with a
>patient who was diabetic, had just had a heart attack and wa in renal failure.
>I asked how old the man was and he was 36. I reminded my doctor I was 29 had
>everything but heart and kidney problems and was trying desperately not to be
>that man in a few years time. I think he thought I was being my usual
>"difficult" self. I expressed an interest in the G.I index and he told me not
>to get carried away...still I'm jumping that I didn't ask him more about my
>hands :) Any suggestions would be great so I can go off and research it
>myself. Thanks
>Hilly.      feeling a little better after all that strangely :)

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)