Re: [IPk] What is Cheiroarthropathy?

I think you are conflating two conditions -the one where you can't
flatten your hands, and the one where your fingers 'stick' down, and
when you open them, it's very very painful.

The latter is trigger finger, more common in diabetics (both types) than
in non-diabetics, and treated first with non-steroidal anti-
inflamitories, secondarily with cortisone injections, and thirdly by an
operation.  Not, apparently, related to control - worse control doesn't
mean you are more likely to get it.

Doctors treating trigger finger are often ignorant of, or forget to warn
patients of the complications involved with diabetics taking cortisone.

I have had it in three fingers.  One gave up at the cortsone stage, but
two didn't respond, and were operated on over two years ago, and I've
not had a problem since.  Don't suffer in silence with that pain, Dave!
It's perfectly curable.

Best wishes,

In message <001a01c1a1fc$403489a0$email @ redacted>, Dave Sayer
<email @ redacted> writes
>Hi Anne
>Its a diabetic complaint mainly associated with long term Db an unstable
>bloods, the patient is unable to extend their fingers or flatten their hands
>which is what I have, most commonly both hands are affected. I also have very
>bad problems gripping things, I can't make a fist as my fingers lock completly
>and I have to snap them back it is quite painful and really annoying as the
>simplest of things can become a real nightmare.
>     I have been taking anti-flammitry and pain killers for arthritis for
>years and they havn't helped and i also try to exercise my hands as much as
>     Apparantly according to american research about 50% of diabetics suffer
>from this.
>    The research shows that this is a form of neuropathy, its also written
>that tunnel carpal, trigger finger are also more common in type 1 diabetics in
>more mature age.

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)