longacting insulins was Re: [IPk] Glucowatch by Cygnus

Pat wrote: Why don't you look into a pump, which is much more widely
available in the US than it is in the UK.  Being unable to find a
long-acting insulin which is active enough during the morning, but not
active during the night is a classic case of pump need!

Hi Trina -

I will never discourage anyone from getting a pump, but have you tried
unconventional injection schedules for the long acting insulin? I'm coming
in on this thread late, so I don't know what your son is on. When I was on
injections, I used ultralente insulin. It's meant to last in the body around
36 hours, but I needed a booster with it. I ended up taking my larger
injection of it at 3pm and a booster at 8.30/9pm. I had a split (as an
adult) of 12 units at 3pm and 3 units at 9pm. What this meant was that I
didn't have an excess of long-acting during the night, from 10pm - 2am, but
once the dawn phenomenon started working around 3am, the booster shot of
ultralente was just getting to work.

While you are arguing or waiting for a pump, or even instead of a pump, I
urge you to experiment with the timing of the long acting insulins. Doctors
always behave like there is only one way to use a given long acting insulin,
which is to the one schedule they dole out to everyone, but that is rubbish.
Long-acting insulin is a tool that we have to customise to our own needs, as
I did with my ultralente and as many people do with their Insulatard - many
diabetes nurses and doctors will insist Insulatard should be taken in one
shot once a day, but many people find it works better in a split dose.

Good luck.