Re: [IPk] Glucowatch by Cygnus

Hi Trena

I have a 7= year old daughter with D.  I don't think many people on this
list have tried the Glucowatch although I do believe that there was one
person.  The on -going costs are quite expensive, I think that is putting
people off too.  There is sometimes a problem with sweating that causes the
watch to skip a reading from time to time.

They are not available in the UK to patients under 18,  although I think
that these are the patients who I  think they would  benefit the most.

I have some email messages from a mother who some was involved in trials on
children in the US with the Glucowatch.  They tell you how the trials went,
give an idea of the use how well it worked for her son etc.  If you would
like I can sent you a few of the mails that she sent to the
ChildrenwithDiabetes support list that she wrote during the trial.  This
would give you an idea of the day to day use.  She was allowed to keep and
use the Glucowatch at the end of the trial.  Her son Matthew was 12 at the
time.

My daughter never wakes when she is low in the night and has had about 6
seizures at night. We now test everynight now and this does get very
exhausting.  I only check once at 2.30 am unless there has been a particular
problem we have managed to catch all the lows the last  year. We also
dropped the overnight insulin to the minimum to keep the blood sugars
stable.  I would really like a glucowatch but still haven't been able to get
one because of her age.

Let me know if you would like me to forward these mails. Sonia Cooper (the
mother) has given me permission to pass them on.

Jackie
Mum of Sasha aged 7=