Re: [IPk] 37 year old male scared of needles????????

I was quite scared about the idea of sticking the needle in at first, even
though I never had a problem with injections. On the morning of my diagnosis
(aged 8) the nurse told me I might as well give myself my first injection, as
I was going to have to do it for the rest of my life (HAH - I haven't done an
injection for nearly 3 years now!) and she stood and watched while I did it.
No messing around with oranges or watching other people do it! The first time
was quite scary, but I think I was even more scared of the nurse so I just
got on and did it!
Anyway, back to inserting sets..... John told me it didn't hurt any more than
a normal injection, and for some strange reason, I believed him! And again,
just got on and did it. Actually my first insertion ever was a Sofset without
the whanger! (because I wasn't given one). Didn't hurt much, and after that,
everything else was easy!

I still don't particularly like inserting the sets (sometimes it hurts and I
have to try about 5 or 6 different sites before I find a good one, sometimes
I don't feel a thing), but it's a small price to pay for having so much
better control.