Re: [IPk] 37 year old male scared of needles????????

I have exactly the same problem... i was scared.    I can do a normal
injection into my tummy, cause the needle goes in and out in seconds.

I hated the drawing pin needle so opted for the tender. BUT the Tender is
very hard to push in and get on the right angle.  It took me ages and as I
held my breath I often fainted!!!  These were also uncomfortable to wear, as
I was aware of any movement on the tubing.

In the end my doctor placed the first Drawing pin in me and I got used to the
idea of wearing and accepting it.  A nurse did the next one, then I was happy
with the mental problem of wearing one.

Through my experience I have found the following helpful..

Make sure you get the shortest needle available  (they come in a few sizes)

Go three/four inches to the side of your belly button and one inch down.
This area is very good.

Do not pinch the skin up, but hold it tight and stretch it.  The needle will
then puncture the skin instead of bounce on the pinched up bit.

To remove any plaster/stuck down needle, put some oil on it to unstick the
glue, i.e. sweet almond oil, which is also good for skin.

I now prefer the rapid and would never never try a tender again.....

Good Luck.

PS.  I'd like to thank my mum for allowing me to stick syringes into her leg
when I was 7.  Although I think she was lying when she said it didn't
hurt...If she'd done her homework, she would have used her tummy!!!!