Re: [IPk] 37 year old male scared of needles?

> Forgive my curiousity... but I've done a search of the US/UK mail
> archives on "EMLA", and it's nearly always kids that are using it,
> and rarely adults...
> Do kids feel pain worse than adults?
> Or are adults reluctant to confess to using a pain killer on
> themselves? Or is there something more complex going on???

A lot of it is psycological. The anticipation of pain rather than the
pain itself. Kids have a much harder time with that than adults.

For many, the ice in the baggie trick works well and may work better
since it is much faster, taking only 3-4 minutes rather than 15
minutes for the EMLA. If you use ice, in a pinch you can use a cold
soda can or bottle if you are somewhere where no ice is available.