Re: [IPk] Increase in HBAIc since commening on pump

> My son, 12 has been on the pump for 6 months, during this time his
> HBA1c has increased from 7.1 to 9.2.  Could this be due to the onset
> of puberty or the fact that he is no longer having hypos 2/3 times a
> day.  He is concerned about the increase, as am I, any suggestions.

Check that he does not have nocturnal lows and then rebound. This
would usually be accompanied by somewhat unstable bg's during the day
and stubborn daytime highs.
hba1c's in the 9's seems very unusual for someone on a pump.

> Another problem we encountered a week before christmas, I found him
> unconcious in a pool of blood in a room that looked like a scene
> from the Texas Chainsaw Masacre.  He had cuts to his eyes, tongue
> both sides, forehead and bridge of his nose.  Either he went very
> low and fell backwards and forwards, or fitted, it would have been
> his first fit.  We had to call the paramedics.  This was at 5.30 in
> the morning that I found him.  When I eventually checked his pump
> all the basal rates had dissapeared.  This is the second time they
> have gone, has anyone else had this problem.  At the moment he is
> chaning batteries every three days, I dont think this is quite right
> either.

Return the pump to the mfg, they will send a replacement.