Re: [IPk] 37 year old male scared of needles????????

In message <email @ redacted>,
email @ redacted writes
>Is there anyone out there who felt the same at first?  How did you get on in the

I felt rather odd the first time.  My nurse made me play with putting in
a silhoutte/tender and a sof-set into a lump of body-like plastic.  I
found the silhouette awquard to put in, the two times I've tried it in
me since it has been agony, and the second time I had such a strong
allergic reaction that a line of broken skin appeared down the needle in

Putting the soft-set in, I use the whanger.  I know what you mean by
'not knowing' what's going to happen.  It's not like pushing a needle
in, where you can stop halfway and go back!

I suggest you try on an orange first (hold a tangerine on your stomach,
so you get the sensation of the thing coming down.

Then try on you.  The most painful part, by the way, is withdrawing the
insertion needle - sometimes I seem to push down a little as I pull it
out, and this can make the tip touch a nerve I hadn't touched before -
the pain is just like a syringe needle touching a nerve, and since you
are pulling out the needle at this point, it stops very quickly.

>Yes, I know the saying "Don't be a wimp and stick it in" but I need to hear
>something a little more constructive.

Well, if push comes to shove, there is always deep breathing (in through
nose, out through mouth), self-hypnosis, positive visioning (see the
positive outcome), and self-bribery ('until I do this I'm never going to
drink again / if I do this I'm going to book myself on Concorde for a
weekend in New York').

Best wishes,

dm 30+, 508 9months+, a big wimp, so knows lots of ways of persuading
herself to do stuff!
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)