Re: [IPk] Opsite, Tegaderm etc

On Monday 07 January 2002 10:13, you wrote:
> Morning, Thanks for tips on getting dressing tape, I'll be off to the GPs
> (as soon as they see fit to let me have an appointment... )  I'm lucky
> not to be allergic to the Silhouette/Tender adhesive, but I find that if
> I don't put tape over the top, the red bump/itchiness at the point of
> insertion comes quicker and is worse. This is why I think it happens.  If
> you look at the set, it seems the teflon catheter goes out from the
> plastic button, down through the clear window and then into the person.
> There's a hole in the clear window to allow it  to do this. But maybe
> that hole also lets water etc in close to the insertion point, and maybe
> that's what makes the site a bit redder. A bit of tape over that window
> (but not over the quick release) seals it and stops that happening.  Of
> course it could all be in my mind.....! K

Hi Katherine
I wonder if a more likely explanation is that the site moves around a bit
when it's not taped down - for example, your clothes rubbing on top of it -
and that's what causes the irritation. When there's extra tape, it's more
secure so that doesn't happen.
I find that if I put my set on the lower part of my abdomen and I wear
something like jeans, my site doesn't last as long before getting sore
because my jeans rub on the site, whereas lighter trousers or a skirt don't
tend to. Especially if the site is underneath where my belt goes.