Re: [IPk] Macrovascular Complications

In message <005001c196c0$ddd203a0$email @ redacted>, Stephen East
<email @ redacted> writes
>Ive just been reading on the internet that tight blood glucose control does
>not decrease the risk of macrovascular complications. Is this true ? If so
>what is the point ?

Is this true?  First, look at the source - is it published in a refereed
journal?  What have the reactions to it been?  Have the results been
repeated?  (If you want, you can even start asking questions about what
they were looking for, who they were, etc - I do recommend 'The Science
of Discworld' as a great starting point for people wanting to understand
science.  Not 'understand science' as in 'understand how the internal
combustion engine / the human heart / nuclear reactions work' but
'understand what a scientist hears when you say 'is this true?'.

What is the point?  OK, assume that degree of bg control has no
influence over the risk of macrovascular complications.  Ask: what does?
(My bet is: blood pressure - and that's an awfully easy thing to
control, compared to blood glucose).  Ask: What other benefits come from
good bg control?

I disagree, by the way, with the poster who said that good control has
nothing to do with intelligence - I don't see how anyone who hasn't the
intelligence to ask 'Is this true?' can manage their diabetes: hand over
management to someone else, sure.  But not manage it themselves.  This
is not the kind of intelligence which gets you degrees, but the kind
that means you can run a household budget.

Best wishes to all,

dm 30+, 508 6 months +,
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)