Re: [IPk] Reply to Patti Mack Rev Glucowatch

In message <007d01c194b3$0653da20$email @ redacted>, Tony O'Sullivan
<email @ redacted> writes
>Forgive me, but I don't think the pump is for people having hypos!

It can work very effectively for people who have hypos because they
need, effectively, some H or R at 2 or 3 or 5 am.  Because doctors don't
like you waking up to inject at 4am (I did this for a year, and had
almost the best results I ever had, pre-pump, but was told to stop, and
it _was_ making me tiered), you have to risk going hypo in the small
hours, as the long-acting insulin begins to peak, or take a smaller
amount of long-acting so that it doesn't send you hypo... but then of
course, there isn't enough to stop you going high when the dawn effect
kicks in.  Only a pump (or an alarm clock) can ensure that low needs
early in the night and high needs late in the night can be met.

During the day, there is less of a problem, but even so I found that
doctors frowned on my 'basal' shot of a unit or so of H mid-morning, and
found that only the shortest-acting of the long actings would be out of
my body by late afternoon, when I need very little insulin (again,
reducing the long acting so I didn't go hypo at 5pm would send me higher
again at 6am....

You seem to be one of those lucky people with a more or less constant
basal need.  My basal need runs between around 0.8 per hour mid-morning
to 0.1 per hour late afternoon (that is delivered insulin rate, not
injected insulin rate).

I too am taking less insulin with the pump - 25-35 units per day,
compared with 40-ish.  I have had inexplicably high hba1cs compared with
what I had before, that don't tally with what I read off the meter.  The
only explanation I can come up with is that in the old days, I had an
hour or two at 2 or 3 each night, and now those are at 7 or 8.

Best wishes to all,

dm 30+, 508 6months+
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)