Re: [IPk] Reply to Patti Mack Rev Glucowatch

Forgive me, but I don't think the pump is for people having hypos! A simpler
solution is to get a life and reduce the active insulin by a unit. I'm a
slob who has had around 3 night-time hypos in 20 years, so maybe this isnt
my territory, but repeated hypos are a good excuse to reduce insulin. Taking
on the pump means more vigorous self-management, and potentially more hypos.
I've had more, but they are very minor and manageable. (I have a theory,
that the longer between your first sensation of 'oops, I'm hypo' and doing
something about it, the bigger your hyper later on!!) Remember, we all
should only take enough insulin to counter our daily basal needs plus our
intake of the dreaded kryptonite, sorry I mean carbohydrate, and no more. A
little too much means an extra few pounds to get rid of. I've found that one
Smartie is equivalent to a full round of the park, so watch it out there!!!

In terms of pushing up the basal to control night-time sugars, believe me
you can forget the T-Shirt, I'm wearing the 3-piece suit! I used to use 29
units of insulatard, before that up to 35 units of ultratard. Both were as
effective as singing a duet with my compatriots Dana (now an MEP) and Daniel
O'Donnell (now 40). Now I'm pumping with a basal total of ...hold on while I
check...26.9 units in 24 hrs. I have never had such good results in the
morning, or at any other time of day, and as I've bored everyone with
before, my HbA1c has fallen from 7.8 to 6.9 after 6 weeks of pumping,
including my difficult first two weeks. Most of my long-acting was going
straight through my kidneys into the general water system.

I looked at the Glucowatch, but reports of inaccuracy, and the device
packing in due to sweat have put me off. I'm not interested, but I do have a
HbA1c meter here at home on trial! It costs IR#1,000, much less than the
DCA2000 but still very pricey. It should be available to community based
diabetes nurses in Ireland in 2002, and to Diabetes Federation branches. I
think it will be a good incentive to go to a meeting, if you can check your
own  HbA1c while there. We'll all have HbA1c meters in 5 years, mark my

I'm a doctor, I'm 40 next month, and in Ireland they call me Mr
Diabetes....but I've just finished my 3rd bag of crisps, and I still have a
lot to learn about diabetes in general, and pumping in particular. I have
been involved with this list for a few months, and I find the support as
good as that from my team. I haven't seen a silly question yet, and I've
seen some answers that Professor Excellent from Berkeley (or Cambridge)
couldn't have answered, even for a million Euro. So if you are inclined to
make a New Year Resolution, even though this is just an ordinary year and
doesn't have any Millennia or other fancy labels attached to it,  my
suggestion is use this list, read it, respond to it, and learn with it. I've
always believed that we are a community of people with diabetes, and can
offer each other much more than anyone else can, including our expert
advisers, nurses and others. So let's stick together, and help each other
through the few remaining years until a cure for type 1 becomes a reality.

Tony O'Sullivan