[IPk] scare, thought I'd be on dialysis

Because I've had traces of protein in my urine a few times I do an annual 24
hor urine collection for protein. The consultant has convinced me that this
is not due to DM as I am normotensive and (at least last Feb) had no
retinpathy to date. Morever, for past 2 years 24 hour excretion has been
less than 100 mg
I sent off the collection last weekend and phoned the lab for my result
yesterday ( they unofficially give doctors their results over the phone) The
technician I spoke to obviously didn't have a clue what he was talking
about - read off the result as 2415- which would mean macro albuminuria and
potentially serious leaking kidneys - big problems ???dialysis in future

I spent the night worrying after going out for a meal with a friend to try
to calm me down ( Hey at least my cholesterol's good never mind the fact
that my kidneys may be kaput!!!)
I spoke to the consultant over the phone today, and guess what    the above
figure is the volume of urine I produced, so I'm not urinating the
equivalent in protein of a small steak. I'm much relieved but a bit p----d
off as they didn't even measure the protein after I painstakingly weed in a
pot for 24 hours.