Re: [IPk] NovoRapid approved for pump use?

> This medscape article is about Novo's insulin aspart, which I
> suspect is the US name for NovoRapid.
> http://www.medscape.com/reuters/prof/2001/01/01.17/20010116clin002.h
> tml
> Isn't it funny how humalog isn't approved for use in a pump by the
> USFDA, but as far as I can tell most people who use pumps there
> actually use humalog!
Once a drug is approved for any use in the US, a doctor is free to
prescribe it for any purpose. Approval for use in pumps is
technically not required. Until recently the only approved insulin
for pumps in the US was Velosulin BR. The approval process involves
safety trials, etc... to assure that the drug is ok to use in humans
more or less for the purpose stated. There is no incentive for the
drug companies to seek additional approvals once they have ONE and
the drug is on the market in wide use.