Re: [IPk] Reply to my profile- Victoria Edrich

>low.  I still find the insulin she's on very unpredictable it is very hard
>to keep her sugars in range without it going low.  We have to test a least
>five times a day and sometimes it's more and lately in the night quite
>often. Sometimes she will go to bed and her BG is 10 or 11 and it will come
>right down to 3.5 or 4 others times it can go up or stay the same.
>I think we will meet resistance from our diabetes team as her Bg are
>acceptable. Sasha thinks the worse thing about DM is the hypos, she doesn't
>seem to mind the injections so much or the finger pricks.  I'm just
>wondering how she would cope at school, she is only 6 and I don't know if
>the school would need to help or allow her to do blood tests. They do no
>tests now, if she's says she's dizzy they just give her a biscuit or juice
>if she looks pale and wobbly. They ring me if she seems ill.
>Also in the summer she spends hours climbing in the trees outside our home
>and turning upside down over the bars in the local park I was wondering how
>much a pump would be in the way at her age.  I definitely think a pump is
>the way to go when she is older, the freedom it gives a young teenager would
>be so much better

Hi Jackie
It sounds as if you are both coping very well, in spite of the difficulties.
I think that Sasha would get on fine with a pump, considering how good she
seems to be at handling her diabetes. Regarding school, there wouldn't
really be much difference from the staff's point of view if she had a pump.
I would fight strongly for her to be allowed to test herself at school -
that really is important with a pump. In terms of meals and carb counting,
I don't know how she'd get on. If she takes her own lunch, then you could
figure out the carbs etc. beforehand and tell her how much to bolus. And
give her a rough sliding scale for what to do when she's high or low. I'm
sure she'll pick it all up very quickly. Otherwise, in the worst case,she
could eat a fixed amount of carbs as presumably she is doing now, if she's
not confident about carb counting. I was diagnosed aged 7, and within a
couple of months was pretty good at basic carb counting - for typical
school foods at least (although it was only in units of 5g carb). Regarding
general rough and tumble, I don't think she would have much of a problem -
there are lots of accessories you can get to hold the pump secure in various
places, but to be honest, the simple clip and case will keep the pump
secure in most situations, and pumps are very robust - I have droppped mine
on a hard floor several times from a height of several feet without its
case on, and it hasn't suffered any damage, though i wouldn't recommend
doing it on a regular basis. Similarly, I know of several Minimed pumps
that have been accidentally dropped into the toilet and lived to tell the
tale! The Disetronic is of course waterproof in any case. I think, as you
say, the main hindrance is going to be your diabetes team, which is the
same problem many people here have had. But keep fighting for what you want
and I'm sure you'll get there in the end.