Re: [IPk] quick hypos

>clinical trials to back this up. However, one  of the indications for a pump
>is cited as hypoglycaemia unawareness- whether because these individuals
>actually regain their symptoms or because it happens more slowly  so that
>they are more likely to have tested and taken remedial action before they

I remember Prof Amiel at a JDF conference speculating that repeated
night-time hypos are chief culprit for creating hypo unawareness. Often
you're quite unaware of the hypo. Since on the pump you can carefully match
you night-time insulin to what you require, there's a good chance you have
far fewer of these hypos, and you regain awareness. That's one view anyway

>However, inappropriately large boluses of insulin ( particularly with
>humalog) can cause "fast hypos". It is sometimes better to under estimate
>insulin required to cover food and correct later if you feel this is
>becoming problematic

Humalog seems to be the favourite pump insulin (since you can take it with,
or after, you're meal) and if you took a bolus of Humalog and didn't then
eat, you would go hypo faster than on, say, Actrapid. But it would
extraordinarily reckless to bolus and not then eat.

Since I've been on the pump, I've not noticed hypos coming on any faster,
and in fact they are generally much milder, since smaller amounts of
insulin are involved. I've kept a careful note of the range when I feel
hypo, and in the 3 years on the pump it's remained steady at 3.8 - 3.9.

mailto:email @ redacted