Re: [IPk] nasty nasty hypo

Hi Elizabeth
You poor thing - I know just how you felt as I did something very similar
soon after I got my pump. I was on foot in a rough part of Manchester,
miles from anywhere, and I discovered that I had no money, there were no
shops, and I had 4 glucose tabs left, which I used, and was still hypo.
And there were no buses that I might have blagged my way onto without any
money. And noone around. I tested at around 1.5 by that time. I didn't
have a mobile either so I couldn't even call anyone to come and pick me up.
And there were no cash machines. I turned my pump off, sat down on the side
of the road, and waited. My brain and legs were so jelly like I couldn't do
anything else anyway. I almost lost consciousness, but thankfully I managed
to stay awake, and after about 30 mins I guess the combination of my liver
kicking in and the lack of insulin finally got my BG up to around 4.5, by
which time I was able to stagger home (about 2 miles). It was a lesson to
me to always check I have enough glucose tabs, and some spare money. I don't
normally check because I have half packets of tabs in every coneivable
place, as well as in my emergency DM kit.

I don't think I've ever tested lower than that, but that's because I don't
usually bother testing when I'm very low. it amazes me though that
sometimes you can carry on when you're really low, and not feel too bad,
and sometimes you can't move when your BG is only just under 4. I know it's
not that weird, because your body's reaction depends on all kinds of
things,  but it still surprises me.

  On Mon, 08 Jan 2001, you wrote: >I had a very unpleasant
experience on Friday which has left me quite >shaken. I decided to walk
part of the way home after work and left with a >BG of 7.2 and the tail end
of a square wave bolus working in my system. I >truned my pump down to .1
for an hour and decided I didn't need to eat >anything. About fifteen
minutes later I knew I was in a bit of trouble and >... I had no sweets (or
so I thought), and I definitely didn't have any >money. I pushed on toward
the bank machine and said to myself, I'll get >some money, and I'll get the
paper and a sandwich, which would be a bit of >a treat. Got to the bank
machine, at 4.30 on a Friday afternoon, and the >bloody thing is empty!  At
this stage I dug for my beaded purse (like the >one you had when you were
four), because i thought I might have 20p in it >to get something, and
discovered a full pack of tabs. My legs got quite >rubbery while I was on
my second one, and I decided to test. I have a >policy of testing when I
think I'm low so I can track exactly how many >hypos I have.  And the
answer was ... 1.3! It's amazing how well rubbery >legs work. I finished an
entire pack of tabs in record time. > >As you may imagine, I was completely
wiped, and I'm not sure I've recovered >yet. I forgot to take rescue remedy
for it, but I did take three doses of >aconite 30, which seemed to help. So
did the big bowl of pasta I had for my >tea, to staunch the massive starch
craving I got! > >This was one of my top 3 worst hypos ever. At least it's
reminded me that I >should always have some sort of sugar with me, and that
it's better to err >on the side of caution andeat.  I was very unimpressed
with myself, >especially as things had finally started to click last week.
So I'm >starting again today on the good diet - I indulged my starch fancies
over >the weekend. > >Out of curiosity, has anyone had a hypo at a lower
recorded level where >they still managed to keep going? >