Re: [IPk] A question for you DPhils and PhDs

On Sun, 07 Jan 2001, you wrote:

>Those of you who are doctors of education, may recognise a classic
>description of Darwin's state of confusion immediately prior to
>reflexive learning.  But I raise it here because of what was happening
>to my blood glucose levels during this period and afterwards.  It seems
>that about the time I _finally_ understood my entire insulin needs
>shifted.  I am running higher because I don't have time to work them out
>(and guess that when I'm on the pump it will be easier to do this, as I
>find long-acting insulins unpredictable).
>So ... those of you who have had similar learning experiences - did it
>affect your diabetes?

Hi Pat,
I know what you mean about the understanding thing. Research in general
tends to be like that in my experience. You spend weeks beating your head
against a brick wall, and then suddenly everything makes sense.  I can't
say I've noticed any *direct* correlation between this phenomenon and my
insulin needs, but what I have noticed is that my insulin needs do change
considerably depending on my state of mind and state of work. In general,
when I'm beating my head against the brick wall, my insulin needs go up
(presumably because my mind, and therefore body, is stressed. When I'm in a
very productive phase of work, my insulin needs go down considerably,
particularly when i'm in the state of mind where things are clear - the two
go hand in hand, and it's not just linked to being more relaxed. My brain
is usually working overtime at this point, but instead of the expected
high BG from the adrenalin rush, the opposite happens and I tend to go
low. I don't know why.

My answer is therefore that I would expect your insulin needs to change
when your state of mind and (mental) pattern of work changes, but which way
it goes or what it does is anybody's guess. That I think is an individual
thing. If you can find a pattern to it, great. If not, then just watch out
for it.