Re: [IPk] Raising your basal rate for illness

In message <l03130303b67b693b9939@[]>, John Neale
<email @ redacted> writes
>I made a false move last night...
>You can't win can you? What should I have done? Waited till I woke with a
>v. high bg and nasty sore throat before doing anything?

Having suffered from an 'oncoming' sore throat from 14th to 27th
December, it hit on 20th for real.  On 30th I saw a pharmacist (of the
kind unwilling to give a diabetic anything with sugar in, despite the
fact that I am happy to inject extra for clotted cream fudge).  She
might not have known anything about diabetes, but her old home remedy:
gargle with salt water killed it over 8 hours. I was so pleased, as on
the 31st we drove to Cornwall for a real millennium party.

I guess what I would do in your situation is gargle with salt water, and
set the alarm for 3 hours later (to gargle again, and to check the bg
level) - but that's if I were being a good diabetic. More likely, I'd
make myself a drink involving ginger, honey and alcohol and go to bed!

Best wishes to all,

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)