Re: [IPk] Minimed batteries

Diana is absolutely right. It is difficult to see why there should be such a
discrepancy between batteries which are nominally of the same specification.
With regard to the VARTA batteries these worked well for about three years.
I presume there must have been some change in their manufacture but all of a
sudden they became unreliable, and while generally better than most others
on the market still were not as reliable as we would like them, so we ceased
to supply those in the UK. The Minimed batteries are manufactured by
EverReady, which are no longer generally availble in the UK. Hence we now
stress the importance of using the Minimed batteries. The good news is that
generally these are priced no higher than you would pay for the so called
equivalents you will find in the shop.

For the techies the only factor we can find is in the discharge
characteristices of the batteries. With the Minimed batteries we can get a
low power indication about 1 to 3 days before the batteries finally give up.
With most others the power collapses suddenly without sufficient time to
allow the alarm functions to indicate this.

So there are good reasons now to stick with the manufacturers batteries,
though we will keep our eye out in the UK for any generally available that
can be used in emergencies.

Happy new year to you all

Ray Morrissey
Applied Medical Technology Ltd