[IPk] (no subject)

Hi Rosie

I too live in Twyford, Reading and am under Dr Simpson at the Royal Berks
hospital.  I have been on a minimed insulin pump for 4 years and it has
changed my life and stabilised my control.  I came back from USA  alreadiy on
the pump four years ago and went to see Dr Simpson, he told me then that I
should come off of the pump and go back to injections,  after this I said
that I would stay on the pump and never return to injections.  I wrote to the
hospital head and the health authority asking for funding for the supplies
and Dr Simpson helped me, after a few weeks he came back saying that they
would pay for my supplies.  He and his staff are all trained in pump use and
support me fully, and help with any minor problems that may arise.  He is not
against the use of pumps but I believe there is no funding from the Berks for
anybody else so he doesn't encourage patients to use the pump.  Another man
at the Berks went against Simpsons advice of not getting a pump, bought his
own and pays for the supplies and Dr Simpson supports him medically but they
pay for nothing.  You may get a negative reaction when you speak to him,
especially if he thinks they have to pay for it, as you know the NHS is not
well funded.  Please don't take this with you to show him!!!

It has made my life far more flexible, not having to inject 4 times a day,
eating when or if I wish to, having a stable input of insulin through the day
at a basic rate, instead of having the peaks in the long acting insulin as
before, feeling alot healthier and having normal hba1c.  I too have 2
children, one 5 and one 9 and when you are running around after school,
picking up, dropping off, children around to play, etc. I found it
considerably easier with a pump than 4 injections a day.  Not having to worry
about when I had to eat or if I had remembered to take my injection stuff
with me etc.

It definitely helps control your diabetes if used properly, and it also adds
a greater normality  and easiness to your life.

Any more questions, please ask away.

Christine Gordon