[IPk] Re: Recording and Analysis of BG results on a computer

Hi Bobby -

Try dissolving a bit of glucose in some water, and testing that with your
meter. If you have an electronic one, you may either get an error, or an
entirely bogus result. The reason is that these meters measure how the
electrical resistence of the sample changes during the countdown - and
during this period a chemical reaction is taking place on the test strip.
So they don't just respond to the glucose concentration, but rely on it
behving like blood in other chemical ways. So I presume that the
calibration solutions are designed to react in the same way as blood with
the particular reagent chemical used by that manufacturer. And I would
guess that different reagent chemicals will require different synthetic

Don't know if that makes sense, or if I'm just waffling like the amateur
scientist that I am! ;-)

Ultimately, the best way to verify the accuracy of your meter is to test
yourself with the meter at the same as they take a blood sample at the
clinic. Make sure they do a laboratory test of your bg (they normally do
this when they do your HbA1c) and compare it with your own result. Getting
the result out of the clinic before your next appointment can in my
experience involve being thrown around hospital switchboards for quite a
length of time, but when I am persistent, I usually succeed! Make sure they
tell you if they are quoting a whole-blood or plasma result. Plasma results
should be divided by 1.15 to convert them to whole-blood results. (All UK
meters quote whole-blood results, apart from the new FastTake which gives a
plasma result)

mailto:email @ redacted