[IPk] Re:Hospital Visits

Dear All ,

I am slightly dismayed at the lastest trend appearing on the list .I have
only been pumping for a few months but I couldn't have coped without the
support of Sandra Dudley at Harrogate in the begining  .I do not believe
that it is possible to have the same degree of trust in somebody who is on
the other side of the world even if they are just a phonecall away.I come
from a medical backgound and still found that the simple things of changing
sites and just learning to live with the pump was difficult. Part of the
reason I decided in the first place to trial the pump was because of the
level of support I was promised , personally I think I would feel very
vulnerable without it .

Michael - Without meaning to be disrespectful I believe you live in the US
things are different over here it has taken 5 yrs for me to hear about pumps
let alone get one .Please please don't jeopardise the trials and studies
being carried out here yes we would all like to give everyone an opportunity
to own a pump if they want funded by the NHS but we have to be realistic and
do this slowly .All it would take is one death related in any way to the
pump for it to be headline news and that would put pumping in this country
behind by 10-20 years .Think of the number of diabetics who would never hear
about pumps or worse yet be turned off pumps if that happened .

Wayne ,Jeremy, John, Morag  and all the others who expressed the same
feeling of fear-  I agree this has to be done slowly .It doesn't stop us
giving and getting as much publicity for pumping as possible .Let as many
diabetics as possible know about pumps thats where we need to start .

Pat - You may need to start writing the NOF application I have a wonderful
consultant in Grimsby Hospital and I truly hold out hope for him.
Yours Carol Clohessy