RE: [IPk] Hospital visit

>  > Do you really make an appointment and go to clinic to ask a
>  question
> > about adjusting basal rates??
> Well, this is interesting as my clinic INSISTED that I come in for
> my pump basal rate tuning!  I didn't want to and said I'd email her
> my stats and we could go from there, but she insisted.  I thought it
> was annoying and unnecessary.
> However, in the first few days on the pump I really wasn't sure if
> the thing was malfunctioning or the infusion sets had gone bad or if
> the basal rate was the only issue or whatever.  So some personal
> one-on-one was quite reassuring I guess.
> > The support team
> > could be anywhere in the entire world and it would not make a
> > difference these days. I'm not trying to convince you to use a remote
> > medical team, but you can't equate results from 15 years ago with the
> > pump AND communications technology that were available then to what
> > can be achieved today. You have an opportunity now to help a lot of
> > people better manage their diabetes. If the medical system in one
> > place can't or won't cope with the problem, their are systems
> > elsewhere that can. There is no excuse or reason for someone to go
> > without the best possible care for the diabetes, particularly a
> > youngster where they must live in a virtual prison atmosphere to
> > achieve any kind of control at all.</soapbox-down>
> Certainly being on
> this mailing list has opened my eyes so so so much and I now know
> that what I have experienced in my diabetes care is a worldwide
> phenomenon.  I see my horror storied reflected in the lives of
> others and have gained much comfort and support from hanging out
> here.
I might add, that for a person starting on the pump the US mail list
offers a wider variety and depth of experience simply by virtue of
the large number of people, many docs, RN's, CDE's that monitor the
list. For instant support without the need for even a phone call, I
would recommend that any newbie monitor that list or at least use
browser access or the search engine when a problem comes up.