Subject: Re: [IPk] Hospital visit

You wrote:--

Well I had my visit to the diabetic clinic today, to broach the subject of
pump treatment. It had good and bad points - I got the distinct feeling the
consultant was not at all for pump treatment and wanted to put my eratic
results down to stress (for the last 22 years since I was diagnosed?). One
of the main stumblimg blocks was of course the cost of both meter and
infusion sets. So it looks like I'll have to fund this somehow myself. She
also said that there hadn't been enough trials of pumps in the UK to know
whether they were benficial or not. (Could this be due to lack of support I
wonder!) However I did eventually get the OK to go on trial for a month, but
she has left it completely up to me and will see me in the usual 6 months
time and gave me the number of the diabetic nurse for my area if I had any

Read my e-mails of # 168, onwards

Very similar circumstances.  I haven't told my clinic that I was on a months
trial and they told me the same as you when I mentioned that I was looking
into using one.  No help at all.
I have had my trial and am now waiting for the new 508 model to arrive.  I
am going to use it and tell the clinic when I have my next appointment.  I
had to do the trial on my own so feel quite confident.

I'm sure you will be thrilled with the pump.

As you can see I am still waiting for mine.

I knew that the medical profession weren't keen on pump therapy after
reading everyone's postings for the last 2 months, but I was still surprised
at the negative response to the idea let alone actually putting it into
practice. It was only because I kept coming back to the point and eventually
asked about the trial that I got anywhere. Thank goodness both MiniMed and
Disetronic offer a no obligation months trial, as I think without that I
wouldn't have got anywhere.

I am so looking forward to giving it a go and seeing if the pump will help
me control my diabetes better.