[IPk] Kids on pumps

>While not wishing to appear put out I think you have misunderstood what I
>wrote. I was most certainly NOT advising not to get/use a pump but
>suggesting that before so doing to get advice from those centres, within
>Britain, which are able to offer advice.

Don't worry Jeremy - it didn't look to me as if you were advising against
pumps :-)

Kids on pumps is a battle that is currently being fought hard in America,
while in Britain we are still fighting for adults on pumps! This certainly
highlights the differences between our medical cultures.

One useful bit of ammo for "kids on pumps" is a paper published in the
medical journal Diabetes Care in November 1999 about teenagers on pumps.
What the article reports on is a recent study in Canada which compared 50
young people (12-20) who went onto multiple daily injections (MDI) with 25
people who started on pumps. After 6 months, both groups had lowered their
average HbA1c, but at 12 months the MDI group had relapsed, and their
average HbA1c's were back where they started. But the pump group continued
to lower their HbA1c's even further. It seems to suggest that using a pump
empowers people to carry on getting good results, week in, week out.

David, Karen, ask your son's medical team for their comment on this
article. (You can read it at http://journal.diabetes.org I think you have
to sign in first by giving your email address. But the full URL is
http://journal.diabetes.org/FullText/DiabetesCare/1999-11ft/pg1779.htm You
can also read more about the article at a site Ray Morrissey mentioned:

Ultimately, for your son to go on a pump, some doctor somewhere has got to
give his/her approval. If you can do it at your current clinic, that would
be ideal since your doctor will then learn, and will feel happier putting
others on the pump. In my opinion, there is little difference between a
teenager and an adult using a pump: a well motivated, intelligent teenager
will do far better than a less motivated, less intelligent adult. And
Jeremy, many adults play as much sport as kids do :-) - a common strategy
is just to disconnect the pump before a game of rugby, and take a top-up at
half time. Far better than what I used to have to do, which was to fill my
face with Mars Bars in order to get through a game :-(

You have to balance the benefits of pump therapy which are increased bg
control (=less complications) and increased freedom of lifestyle, against
the cost which is increased responsibility. If the responsibility and
motivation are already there, then I believe the pump to be an ideal choice.

mailto:email @ redacted