From: morag_mclaren_minimed [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Saturday, 15 January 2000 10:53am
To: IP- UK
Subject: [IPk] Standard deviations /MAGE

Standard deviation of glycemic values or MAGE [mean amptitude of glycemic
excursion ] as US medical professionals are starting to call it does provide
valuable information about glycemic fluctuations and the
associated risk of complications .

MAGE is also a good way of showing the benefit of pump therapy .
In some pump studies the Hba1c doesn't reduce much but the no. of excursions
and range of excursions narrows .

This is key to keeping complications at bay .
As we know a good Hba1c often has several hypos pulling the value down and
concealing the highs .

We need to focus less on Hba1c measurements and use new tools to look
carefully at overall control .