[IPk] Standard deviations /MAGE

Standard deviation of glycemic values or MAGE [mean amptitude of glycemic excursion ] as US medical professionals are starting to call it does provide valuable information about glycemic fluctuations and the
associated risk of complications .

MAGE is also a good way of showing the benefit of pump therapy .
In some pump studies the Hba1c doesn't reduce much but the no. of excursions and range of excursions narrows .

This is key to keeping complications at bay .
As we know a good Hba1c often has several hypos pulling the value down and concealing the highs .

We need to focus less on Hba1c measurements and use new tools to look carefully at overall control .