[IPk] Riots, funding, suitability and doctors' need to read records

John, you state that during the first year of your maths degree you had
terrible hypos during the night and suggest several reasons, while I might
agree that drink may have been a cause, in my case, my nights were earlier
at university than when at school and due to the way Oxford worked in the
70s girls were not abundant. But what I said about forced insulin change had
much to do - Monotard was a purified form of Lente, this had been tried on
me at time of diagnosis with the same effects as Monotard had on me at
Oxford. After giving up my degree (not before writing a car off) my insulin
was completely changed again and the effects were dramatic, but only for a
year. This kept happening (good control for a year bad hypos etc for 6-9
months change of insulin) until I got the use of a pump, by which time I
needed 4 injections per day and was drinking very little. Following the use
of the pump sport played a much greater part in my life.
By the way you are very lucky to have Edwin Gale as your consultant!
I was not aware that pump advertising had been banned in Balance, if you can
give me more details I will try to do something about this.
Regarding rioting it is rarely fruitful unless very good publicity precedes
it, the only medical case I know of it being successful was when the
government threatened to close Guys hospital, a planned march to (and into)
the houses of parliament ended up serving its purpose, had it not pumps may
well be even more rare in Britain than now. Letters to the current
government, from individuals are rarely answered, a body such as a charity
is much more likely to achieve something. The DoH are especially bad, at the
present moment to get anything you need to make threats, such as writing to
the media. What we need to do is get a television company interested. When
writing to your MP also write to the chief exec of your hospital trust, to
Mr Blair, to the secretary of state for health, personally and to the DoH.
The best results can be achieved by being non-British and emphasising
everything that is wrong and nothing that is right.
Regarding suitability for a pump a very good article was written in 1996 by
Marcus & Fernandez, entitled 'Insulin Pump Therapy', it lists prerequisites
and preferences as well as listing those who would be poor candidates for a
pump. Alan Marcus has written several articles relating to insulin-pumps, in
America and is worth referring to (my opinion). For those who may be
interested I have aquired several articles about pumps, over the years and
would be happy to forward copies.
My main problem currently is becoming used to the ways & means of the
internet, but it is less of a challenge than first using a pump was.
Regarding lack of scientific evidence of the good of pump therapy I would
note the part they played in the DCCT study in USA. I believe that trial
(with patients under intensive treatment) provided more than enough proof of
the goodness of pumps.
Regarding funding through the NHS, the main problem with pumps is that there
is a high up front expense and the monetary benefit does not come through
for 20-30 years. Governments are only around for 5 years and so it is very
difficult to persuade politicians that it would be to their good to fund
pumps, even if the evidence was overflowing.
Apologies if I go on and on, this is the first chance I have ever had to
discus a subject that means so much to me, with people who appreciate the
Best wishes,