[IPk] Disposable pumps for Type 2s

Hello ,
Minimed is indeed working on a disposable pump to be used in Type 2s who are failing oral therapy and requiring insulin .
These pts often have very poor control , high Hba1cs and an increased risk of diabetic complications .

Clinical trials have shown that a constant infused basal rate can take some pressure of the pancreas and that it can produce the extra insulin needed to cope with meals.
Pancreatic function [ measured by C peptide production ] was increased by approx. 35% when a basal infusion was used .
Insulin resistance also improved in these pts and daily insulin doses can be decreased quite dramatically .

These will be very simple pumps , worn directly onto the skin and not requiring infusion sets .
The pts will have a choice of different basal rates depending on their insulin needs .

After use it will be taken off and thrown away .

This type of therapy is completely different from the sophisticated demands of the Type 1s .

We do not yet have approval to start introducing this pump into Europe and prices have not been set .

Jeremy , we continue to work with the implantable pump but given the need for surgery and high cost we have not introduced this into the UK.
It is being used successfully in France , Holland , Sweden and the USA for specially selected individuals .

We'll keep you updated as we progress with these new products .

Best wishes