Re: [IPk] Funding

In message <email @ redacted
l.talk21.com>, email @ redacted writes
>Back in October I decided to look into the use of a pump, and got infomation
>from both companies here in the UK. I then decided on the one I wanted and
>managed to sort out a trial period. Now this was only possible becasue at the
>time my diabetes care was not with the NHS, but with an independant hospital,
>and so my consultant was willing to let me try it, but I was told they would not
>pay for a pump.

I considered asking you to post the name and address of your private
consultant, so that those of us who may shortly run out of NHS options
can use this route.

However, I imagine that your private consultant was wanting to build a
long-term relationship with her or his patients, and not simply be used
as a way of forcing the NHS to consider pump use.

What I may need (and some already need) is access to a private doctor
who will assess individuals for pump use, and have a lead-in and support
service for the first week for so of use.  The diabetic, having been
told that they are going on the pump, would initiate the proceedure that
Wayne used.  The private doctor and his or her team would not be trying
for long-term management, but just to make sure that the user knew
enough to get going.

It seems to me that this could be done on a flat fee basis (or rather
two fees, one for assessment, one for induction - so individuals deemed
not suitable for the pump wouldn't have to cover their induction costs).
Pump manufacturers could consider advising patients of suitable doctors,
providing such flat-fee services, and possibly also of lawyers able to
support patients in their dealings with the NHS. The pump manufacturers
might even want to consider subsidising, or even covering the cost of
the private doctor ...

Alternatively, I wonder how much an advert in the _Lancet_ would cost
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)