Re: [IPk] Paul Coker - Kilimanjaro

Hi Paul,

Have you approached local schools?  It's an amazing cross-curricular
opportunity, and there's the spiritual, moral, social & cultural aspect that
comes from fundraising.

Children enjoy helping.

Belinda

> On 26 Feb 2014, at 08:42, Paul Coker <email @ redacted> wrote:
>
> Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 10:38:00 +0000
> From: Alice Monks <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IPk] Diabetes and Kilimanjaro
>
> Morning Paul,
>
> Wow! Good on you - what a challenge :-)
>
> Thank you
>
> Would be really interested to hear
> about how you manage blood sugars etc with your training and when you're on
> the trip (if you don't mind that is).
>
> I will certainly do something on this.  The training so far has been lots of
jogging and I am doing the bath half marathon on Sunday.  For an event like
the half marathon it is essential that I am not hypo at all for 48 hours
before the event, on the day of the run I will drop my basal rates to 20% an
hour before I run and they will stay at 20% until 30 minutes before I finish
when I will put them back to normal.  I will be consuming 500ml of lucozade
sport every 45 minutes and I will run to a target heart rate - in my case this
is 144 beats per minute which allows me to burn equal quantities of fat and
carbohydrate for energy, if I go at a lower heart rate say 125-139 beats per
minute I burn mostly fat and this is even better for blood glucose control but
I don't have the mental discipline to stay at that pace for long!  At the end
of the run I will immediately give a bolus f 1.5 units to prevent the
adrenaline that is coursing through my body from raising my bg levels.  I will
typically eat a banana a few minutes later and not give any bolus for it, and
I will then reduce my basals to 80% for the next 24 hours.

> I am adopting a similar  protocol for my hillwalking and it seems to be
working quite well although it still needs some tweaking.