[IPk] Paul Coker - Kilimanjaro

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 10:38:00 +0000
From: Alice Monks <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IPk] Diabetes and Kilimanjaro

Morning Paul,

Wow! Good on you - what a challenge :-)

Thank you

Would be really interested to hear
about how you manage blood sugars etc with your training and when you're on
the trip (if you don't mind that is).

I will certainly do something on this.  The training so far has been lots of jogging and I am doing the bath half marathon on Sunday.  For an event like the half marathon it is essential that I am not hypo at all for 48 hours before the event, on the day of the run I will drop my basal rates to 20% an hour before I run and they will stay at 20% until 30 minutes before I finish when I will put them back to normal.  I will be consuming 500ml of lucozade sport every 45 minutes and I will run to a target heart rate - in my case this is 144 beats per minute which allows me to burn equal quantities of fat and carbohydrate for energy, if I go at a lower heart rate say 125-139 beats per minute I burn mostly fat and this is even better for blood glucose control but I don't have the mental discipline to stay at that pace for long!  At the end of the run I will immediately give a bolus f 1.5 units to prevent the adrenaline that is coursing through my body from raising my bg levels.  I will typically eat a banana a few minutes later and not give any bolus for it, and I will then reduce my basals to 80% for the next 24 hours.

I am adopting a similar protocol for my hillwalking and it seems to be working quite well although it still needs some tweaking.

Please also let me know how I can sponsor you.

I will e-mail you a link to my just giving page

In terms of raising the
profile of it, have you thought about approaching local newspapers?

Yes I am already in contacts with local papers

Facebook, Twitter etc. Is it organised through Diabetes UK?

Any suggestions for great Facebook groups to post on please?

The event is organised by JDRF and you can find more info here:

http://www.jdrf.org.uk/get-involved/join-in-an-event/treks/jdrf-climb- kilimanjaro

Kind Regards

Paul