Re: MRI exposure WAS Re: [IPk] Animas Vibe

Maybe it's time for me to put my medical physicist hat on again, just
to give a little perspective on this.

MRI and insulin pumps or CGM's (all of the current devices) is an
absolute no - and I'm pretty horrified that MRI staff should not be
aware that any electronic device could potentially be transformed to
electronic minced meat by an MRI - that is a real risk.

Unlike MRI, x-rays and most other medical imaging procedures do not
involve a very high magnetic field, which is the real risk for
electronic devices like pumps. I sometimes wonder if the reason
certain pump companies warn you about all medical imaging procedures
is because they do not know and/or do not trust the patient to know
the difference between the different medical imaging modalities, and
better safe than sorry.

As far as x-rays are concerned, as long as you keep the pump out of
the field of view that is being imaged there really should be no
problem - and this precaution is not because I would be worried about
the x-rays affecting the pump, but because the presence of the pump
might distort the image and result in an image with impaired quality
for diagnosis.

And CT, which is 3-D x-rays, and involves a lot more energy and
radiation dose than a regular planar x-ray, also should be no problem,
with the same proviso as for x-rays.

However if you have a lengthy CT procedure with high energy - like CT
angiography - then the energy is even higher, and there was once one
case reported to the FDA in the US of a person whose insulin pump was
affected. I do not know if the insulin pump was in the field of view
or outside it. But clearly this is a risk one would not want to take,
and again I assume it is because of this that the pump companies
prefer to err on the safe side in their recommendations.

While each of us has to decide for themselves whether or not to keep a
pump on during an x-ray, ultrasound, or even regular CT, Nuclear
Medicine procedures like bone scans, or even SPECT/CT or PET/CT, it's
better to avoid scaremongering - one might land up having an x-ray
when very unwell or after an accident in a situation where one could
not do anything about it - and there is no need to fear that this puts
you "at risk in extremis". My only plea as a medical imaging
professional is that if you do keep the pump on (as I do generally,
but would make an exception for CT angiography where I would remove my
pump) then try to make sure the pump is out of the field of view so
that you don't get uninterpretable images!

Nanette