From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of
Laura Holborow
Sent: 21 February 2014 11:13
To: pump list uk
Subject: [IPk] Sudden change in sensitivity to insulin?

Hi

I've emailed my consultant about this, but he's not usually very quick at
responding, so wondered if anyone here had any ideas please?

I appear to have become suddenly far more sensitive to insulin than I used to
be. But not consistently.

My blood is sliding downwards each evening for the last 5 nights once I'm in
bed, these slides (whether they result in a hypo or not) are keeping me awake
for hours, as my body is noticing the slide and won't let me sleep as it thinks
I'm going low (even if my brain knows I'm not!). It doesn't seem to matter what
bolus I've had beforehand, so I guess it's a basal thing?

For example I went to bed with a blood sugar of 18, and didn't correct (because
I'd been dropping the previous couple of nights). I had last had a bolus around
4pm (due to hypos at 6 and 8pm that evening as well I didn't bolus for any
dinner) a few hours later it was 10. At that point I put a temporary basal on
 reducing my basal quite a lot (can't remember if I reduced it to 50% or 25%)
and
woke up with a blood around 12ish.

It's doing it with complete unpredictability. Some times during the day I also
 seem to be dropping more quickly than previously - but not every day, and not
at
the same time of day.

This morning I woke up (after an exceedingly bad night being awake for
hours) with blood of 15 (due to the low basal I had on to try and stop the
slide) and had a 2 unit correction (the pump recommended 3 units) an hour later
my blood was 4 and heading lower rapidly (by the feel of it).

I've had the infusion set in 2 different sites whilst having these problems, so
don't think its just one dodgy site. I am about to start from scratch with a
fresh bottle of insulin/reservoir/set as well.

I don't know what to change but I can't keep on like this. Any help very
gratefully received.

Laura