RE: [IPk] extreme low carb diet

Oops, I forgot to add Nanette, that my eldest sister - a retired nurse and
lifelong vegetarian - after being on statins developed mega food allergies
which caused anaphylactic shock episodes from which she nearly died on
several occasions.  It has been determined that foods containing naturally
occurring acetaminophen (aspirin) triggers reactions in a certain number of
people.  For several years she was prescribed a basic food supplement
devised by NASA to give early astronauts all the basic food elements but
without waste products!  While this maintained her life, she lost nearly a
third of her body weight including incredible muscle wastage.  Given that
she has severe MS this was a major problem.  They've now altered the
formulation and she can no longer use it.

After a lot of research, she has started on a program where small worm eggs
are applied on a plaster to her arm and after a few weeks they make their
way via the skin, blood, lungs etc to her gut where they reside and help
reduce the autoimmune over-reaction to certain foods.  She is now able to
eat very small amounts occasionally of a few foods.

This is similar to work being done and reported by Michael on the use of
worms for Type 1 recently.  The US have banned it for food allergies but it
is continuing in Australia where my sister gets her supply of "friends"!

There is widespread scientific research on the use of these critters in
various parts of the world including in Scotland.

I'm sharing this, Nanette, just to give a heads up as to possible long-term
consequences of missing out on essential micronutrients, as well as fibre
etc...

Rhoda