Re: [IPk] Long distance travel

Hi Pat

On 17/02/2014 12:55, P BATES wrote:

 > Yes, after 46 years of diabetes my hypo awareness is not good during waking
or
> sleeping hours.
> Currently I have to reach about 2.5 mmol before awareness kicks in and often
 > feel hypo when I am not. Since being on the pump I am more sensitive to
hypers
> but of course when asleep the natural thing to do is sleep.
> This is why I feel the need to be fairly alert and monitor what is happening.

I'm a bit confused about this and why you're worried about falling
asleep on the flight. Is it that you're worried your BG will be
different when sleeping on a plane as opposed to sleeping at night
normally? Do you manage to sleep at night without fear of hypos? Why not
just set your alarm to wake yourself up every 2 hours and test, while on
the plane, if you're worried about going low without knowing?

> I hope to get a better type of motion sickness medication which will allow me
> to travel without the need to close my eyes. Any ideas?

I would definitely suggest trying out whatever you get first. Some of
them give you terrible dry mouth (which sounds like it's not so big a
deal, but I had some on prescription - forget which ones - and the dry
mouth was really horrendous and lasted for about 24 hours). And many of
them make you feel drowsy, which would be a problem if you do need to
stay awake. But personally, I'd kill two birds with one stone and
attempt to sleep through the flight (waking to check BG if necessary).
Di