From: Diana Maynard <email @ redacted>
Date: 13/02/2014  11:34  (GMT+00:00)
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] Banned or suspended from the gym

I've been asked when I've been for an initial gym induction if I check
my BG before going in, what I carry in terms of hypo treatment etc. I'm
not sure they'd have been happy about letting me loose in the gym
without this confirmation. Given what you've said about hypo
unawareness, I think they just want to check you're OK. Is it a problem
to tell them?

My spin instructor in particular is fantastic though, and often notices
I'm hypo during a class before I do! He'll start by giving me a
concerned look if he thinks I'm low, and will often just quietly ask if
I'm OK. He's even sat with me a few times after the class if I've gone
low. The first time I had a bad hypo after the class, he came and sat
with me, brought me some Lucozade (not that I needed it as I had my own,
but it was a nice gesture) and then asked me about it and how he could
help in future, etc. etc. So I explained what my symptoms were, what I
needed, and he now always watches out for me. I find the best way is
jsut to have a quiet chat with an instructor and they're often very
helpful once they understand the issue and what they might need to do.
I'm very lucky as I have a great gym, but I do think sometimes talking
to staff on a one-to-one basis can be very helpful.

The other gym staff are pretty good too, and if they see me sitting down
with my Lucozade at the end of a class or gym session, they'll always
come over and check I'm OK, and sit with me if they're worried.

If you really have such unfriendly gym staff, maybe you can consider
switching to a nicer gym?

Di