Re: [IPk] Re Long distance travel

<email @ redacted>
From: Belinda Washington <email @ redacted>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 13:02:51 +0000
To: "email @ redacted" <email @ redacted>
Sender: email @ redacted

Assuming that Pat has nocturnal hypo/hyper-awareness may not be
correct.

Notwithstanding, the drugs that cause drowsiness work on the nervous
system i=
n a similar way to anaesthetics, which could impair either the
symptoms, or t=
he ability to recognise & respond to the hypo symptoms.

> On 12 Feb 2014, at 12:35, Diana Maynard <email @ redacted> wrote:
>=20
> If you have to keep your eyes closed (presumably you use a sleep mask-type=
 thing) for the whole flight, that could be problematic on a longhaul
flight=
 where you would need to eat, drink, test your BG, take insulin, go
to the l=
oo etc. Although if you had someone with you I guess you could
manage.
>=20
> I wouldn't worry too much about the drowsiness - after all you sleep at ni=
ght without fear of hypos and hypers! It's no different....and if
you're fly=
ing longhaul you'll want to sleep a bit on the plane, especially if
you have=
 to have your eyes closed for 8 hours at a time!
> Di
>=20
>> On 12/02/14 12:31, P BATES wrote:
>> Thank you, Nanette for your advice.
> > Yes, I do take medication for motion sickness which is prescribed by my
> doctor
>> but I have previously taken only short distance flights - two and
a half t=
>> three hours. The medication gets me through but I have to travel
with my e=
yes
>> closed from the time that the aircraft begins to move from a
stationary
>> position, on the ground, until stationary at my destination. This
is in o=
rder
>> to 'cut off' one of the senses which contribute to the motion
sickness
>> condition i.e. vision and balance. As you might guess all forms of
transp=
ort
>> have a similar effect - unless I'm driving.
>> I'll ask my doctor for something which is possibly more effective
and adj=
ust
>> the time on my pump when I land, as you said.
>> I know that some medications cause drowsiness so of course I need
to avoi=