[IPk] competitive team sports

Just wondering how people manage competitive team sports when you never
know if/when during a match you're going to get substituted onto the
pitch? I find I have to eat carbs/lower basal rate while I'm sitting on
the sidelines, just in case I might have to play at some point, but if I
don't play, then I end up with high BG and have to bolus to bring it
back down. And if I do play and haven't had extra carbs/reduced basal at
least 10-15 mins before, then I'm likely to go low in the first 10
minutes of the match! I find it really frustrating, and coaches can't
always predict when they're going to bring you on in a game, because it
might depend on injury or how the game is going.  also don't like to
fuss too much, as if the coach is going to worry that I might drop low
if I'm called on urgently, then he's not likely to call on me!

I can't eat and then bolus a little to make up for it if necessary,
until the end of the match, because if I take that bolus and then have
to play, I'll certainly go low!

When I play softball, it's fine because there's always time between
innings etc to have some Lucozade, and because I don't burn that many
carbs in a match, but in other sports where you're on the pitch for an
hour or more at a time, and running around like crazy for most of that,
I use up a lot of carbs and I can't stop to eat/drink unless I'm
substituted off for the rest of the match.

My solution is to assume I'm going to get substituted on, and eat a
little/reduce basal, and then have some more Lucozade as I'm called on.
But if I don't play, this inevitably leaves me with high BG. For a
one-off it's fine, but when it's frequently it's not great.

Di