 From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of
I Jenkins
Sent: 31 January 2014 19:48
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] diabetes question, not pump related

Hi Clare,

 Sounds familiar, when I was dx I got started on the 4x4 regime, and told to
call in every day to the nurse to check. I also had an appointment booked for a
couple of weeks with the dietician and another DSN education for a few weeks
after, along with a consultant appt for about 3 months after.
 I think they're just starting low and safe as they have no idea how she'll
react to the insulin. It's a lot to take in so I guess they have to make a call
on what they think can be retained by the family. As long as the levels steadily
decrease I think that's all they will look for, also it's not good to crash BG
levels down if they have been uncontrollably high for a while as it can cause
eye problems.

 I'd be asking the nurse to give my details to her when they meet and pass on so
that she knows she can come to you with any=thing she's worried about. It's very
hard not to diev in and overload a newbie though!

With every good wish,

Iain.
T1 Essex, UK.
Minimed 515 pump
Current A1C Apr 2013 36.6(5.5)

On 30 January 2014 14:07, Hayward, Clare (SUT) <email @ redacted>wrote:

> Hi all
>
>  Hope you don't mind me posting something here that's not pump related
> but diabetes related as I wanted to get your thoughts/advice/take on
> this
> situation:
>
>  A young girl at school (14 years) was diagnosed 2 weekends ago, in
> hospital on a drip, quite poorly I believe (get this - doctor knew
> she'd lost a lot of weight, she was going to the toilet a lot,
> drinking a lot) - he didn't do a finger prick test!! They waited over
> a week to go to surgery to get a blood test done!!
>
> Anyhow, moving on - she's back in school this week
>
>  She's been put on 4 injections of 4 units per day, assume they're
> sorting her out
>
>  At school today running a bg of 17 after breakfast but hospital won't
> do any changes (yet). She also hasn't been told about exercise, carb
> counting or anything like that
>
> She had double pe today.
>  She's been advised to snack BEFORE PE but if she's at 17, a) she'll
> go even higher and b) not really safe to exercise being that high but
> nobody seems to have told her
>
> Is this normal way of teaching about diabetes when you first get it?
>  Are they just doing one thing at a time and getting her used to it
> before they start mucking around with doses, how could you not be carb
> counting to even vaguely match insulin?
>
>  Am I missing something? Ijust feel that I had such good care when I
> first got it and it seemed although I was only 12, a great deal of
> things were explained and gone over. I know I spent over 2 weeks in
> hospital and nowadays they can't afford that but ..... am I hopelessly
> outdated?
>
>  I know I don't know all the facts and what she's been promised she'll
> learn but ...............
>
> ________________________________
>
> Important Notice
>

>  This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential to
> the addressee.
>  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure copying or
> distribution is prohibited and may be unlawful.You should notify the
> sender immediately and delete this message and any attachments without
> retaining a copy.
>
> Please note that any views or opinions expressed in this message are
 > solely those of the author and may not represent those of the Company or
School.