Re: [IPk] Metal infusion sets Polyfin
In message <email @ redacted>,
Jackie Jacombs <email @ redacted> writes
>The DSN is adamant that the child cant be allergic to Novorapid. Could it
>be the adhesive? Though of course I do know that it is possible to be
>allergic to the insulin!
People can be allergic to the plastic, the adhesive, or to the anti-
When the parent says 'infected', do you mean 'little buggies are having
a field day in there' or 'it's red and itchy'. A true infection (bugs!)
is not related to allergy - except that allergy can make you more prone
to infection, because it effectively 'wounds' the skin - but with a set,
you've got a nice deep wound anyway, so an allergic reaction would, I
guess, make no difference.
Site infections are pretty rare. Regular infection would (to me)
suggest that either something is wrong with the insertion technique
(badly wrong) or that there is something else going on here that needs
Allergies, on the other hand are common. I get a reaction to virtually
every set. An allergic reaction is unlikely to be localised to the hole
- it probably will be all over the immediate contact area, if not all
over the area stuck down by the plaster.
One thing they might try (to distinguish allergy from infection) is
pulling the inserter needle out of a set before sticking it in, and then
putting it on (not to infuse insulin through, of course). An allergy
will almost certainly show up when the cannula isn't in, whereas an
infection, without the skin break, is unlikely to get started. It won't
show if the problem is an allergy to the insulin - but trying a
different insulin will show that.
Lots of solutions are out there if it is an allergic reaction: the Tape
Tips booklet by Medtronic is the best solutions-base I know.
email @ redacted
"It might look a bit messy now,
but just you come back in 500 years time"
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe/change list versions,