Re: [IPk] Child diabetics denied life-saving therapy

Hi Terry
I was diagnosed in the late 1970s and my treatment was almost identical (urine
testing, glass syringes etc).
The only thing I didn't do was boil the water. I just cleaned and stored the
syringe in surgical spirit at all times. My dad didn't switch to disposable
syringes until the mid -1990s, even though they had been available long before
then! I think he saw it as a waste to throw away syringes when you could reuse
the same one forever....He only switched to a  Novopen about 2 years ago.
When home blood testing came in, it was fantastic. Then when I switched to MDI
in the mid 1990s, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Funny
how your expectations change as technology progresses. Even my pump - which I
was absolutely ecstatic about getting 6 years ago, I'm now beginning to expect
more from.

And yet my dad has had diabetes for 50 years (he's just got his Nabarro medal)
and has virtually no complications despite the archaic treatment and not
really looking after himself for about 48 of those 50 years!
Di