[IPk] Re: pump features

In message <email @ redacted>, Nanette
Chana Freedman <email @ redacted> writes
>Pat,
>
>sorry for delay in answering - I wanted to check out a couple of things
>and make sure my answers are correct.
>By the way, I'm curious to know which pumps you are referring to!
Hi Nannette, Tori, and others (off-list)

Thanks for your replys: I am afraid I'm a 'very different' diabetic, in
that I _don't_ take into account 'insulin on board' from meal boluses,
only from correction boluses (i.e. if I am 5 or 8 or 15, and I eat, and
bolus correctly, I expect to be 5, or 8, or 15 after 2 hours, 3, hours,
etc. etc.  So I do NOT want to know, after 2 hours, that I still have
0.3 or 3 or whatever units of insulin still 'on board'.  That insulin is
already accounted for by the food I ate two hours ago, which is now
working its way down my gut, thank you.

Talking with Melissa, beyond confirming that I'm odd (the rest of you
would expect to be higher after 2 hours, and be expecting that 0.3 or 3
or whatever to bring you down, so needing to take it into calculation)
two things:

a) reassurance that most features can simply be turned off or over
ridden, so I'll be no worse off
b) it should be possible to 'cheat' (a word our American friend might
like to note I am using ironically) and not 'bolus' for meals, but
'prime' or some other function that gets insulin in, that is ignored by
the pump calculator
c) experienced pumpers have confirmed that while they are confident and
happy at their skills of setting a bolus 'by eye', the pump at least
makes them think occasionally, and sometimes it thinks better than they
do.

For now, I'd settle for a pump that allows me to put up the rate to 130%
for 3 hours .... that's what I need to cope with the asthma inhaler.....

Best wishes,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds