Re: [IPk] Re: pump features

Just another point about the Cozmo too. You can program the Cozmo for your
own sensitivity. The default is that insulin remains active for 3 hours,
but for example in ME, insulin remains active for 4 hours, so I have my
Cozmo set to do that. One minor irritation I have with the IOB function is
that the Cozmo assumes that 25% of all the insulin is being used in each
hour (for my 4hr duration), and that all insulin is used at the 5 hour
mark. So at the end of hour 1, if I have given 10 units (not that I ever
would, but this is easiest for illustration), I will have 7.5 units "on
board", at end of hour 3, there will be 2.5 units on board etc. I would
like to be able to say 'Insulin has its strongest action in me at 45mins -
1hr 45mins, and is less before and after'. In effect, if I could program
that myself, my pattern would be something like this:
Bolus time: 100% insulin on board
45min: 95% IOB
1hr 45min: 40% IOB
2hr30min: 25% IOB
3hr: 10% IOB
4hr: 0% IOB

I would also love it if the pump were to take into account my BG and offer
me an automatically lower/higher temporary basal rate - again which I can
override. That way I won't necessarily have to eat for a hypo (depending on
severity), the pump will make allowance (and let the user specify the time
period over which it should occur. So, for example, if my BG was 24mmol, I
might want the pump to adjust it down over 4 hours, whereas with a low of
3mmol, say, I would want that sorted out within 30 minutes).

Just my thoughts...

Tori

At 09:14 AM 21/02/2005, you wrote:
>Pat,
>
>sorry for delay in answering - I wanted to check out a couple of things
>and make sure my answers are correct.
>By the way, I'm curious to know which pumps you are referring to!
> >Hmm, seeing as I might be looking for a new pump in April, or might be
> >waiting for the trial later this year (it is not so much an
> >'experimental' pump, as a pump that isn't yet on commercial release,
> >however, it's from a company that might not be able to meet my
> >requirements for customer response). ....

Victoria (Tori) Davidson
Founder and CEO, Hypostasis Ltd.
ABN 47 105 322 192
Ph 0413 116 020