Re: [IPk] reply to Rhoda - more creaking bits

Hi Michele and Pat and All

Michelle -I have been reading with interest the discussions about digestion.
I am trying to work out my insulin with reference to gastro paresis,
digestion and the pump.  I will reply to Pat's interesting message re how
she corrects further on but as you said you are a Nutritional Medicine
Practitioner I wonder if such a person will be able to help me.  I just do
not know who to go to in order to get answers on this.  Prof Pickup at Guys
does not answer questions on it.  I have managed to get an appointment for
March through him for a consultation only with Guy's Gastroenterology
Department but wonder if I shall get anything more from this than "This is
something you have to put up with".  The Prof didn't sound hopeful.    Would
someone in your profession be able to offer help - indeed do you have any
advice?  I have no idea when the food is going to move and whether the sugar
will be high or low.  I do not understand how digestion works.  At what
point does the insulin work on the carb?  Is it when it reaches the stomach,
when moves to the intestines or some other time?  Is it the GI that is
causing the problem?  What is the effect of the constipation and diarrhea
(sp?).  I seemed much better before Christmas and since then when I was told
to alter the basals I just can't get any control.

For instance.  I eat later last night at 9.00 pm, bg was 10.6 (having  had
low bg 3.4 at 6.00 pm and taken 15 Lucozade which should have gone with
basals 0.3.  Was working on degree work into the night so going to bed late.
For the evening meal had 42 carb (mainly rice) and at 1:5 had 7.2 bolus plus
1 for correction.  11.00 pm 17.9,   At 11.00 pm was 17.9, midnight 14.2 (I
thought good, coming down at last) 2.00 am 14.3. (changed mind that it was
coming down and thought pump had problem so changed set - I know this
shouldn't be done in the night)  4.00 am 6.6.  Thought good and went to bed.
8.00 am very bad hypo tested every 15 mins with more Lucodade - bgs 1.8, 1.5
2.1, 5.7 - exhausted and extremely cold went back to sleep for Sunday
lie-in.  11.00 am bg 16.3.  Had breakfast (Weetabix)  1:7 plus 2 for
correction and at 3.00 pm was still 17.2.  and had lunch, soup, prawns and
fruit - now 5.15 pm, bg 11.  No correction as may well come down in next
hour and I can't face more hypos!!!!

Sorry about that.  It is a particularly bad day and they are not all like
this.  Sometimes the insulin and carbs are matched and I have no problems
and almost meet my targets.

Pat I read you do a dual bolus over 7 hours so your problems sound similar
but is this so every day and how do you know if it will be 7 hours or not?
I can't do corrections when it's just over 7 as so often the insulin will
still be working and there may be some basal there which may also work at a
different rate.  You say the results are not reliable in the first 2 hours
after meals so how can you correct?  How is it your bgs don't rise after
eating?  The figures you quote are so beautifully low I envy you and I could
correct in the way you do if mine were near that but ....  As you say, if I
were 10 no way would I try to get to 5 or I might miss it and go hypo.  I
would aim for about 7 at present.  You restore my confidence that it can be
done.  I had it correct before Christmas and the Prof was very proud of me.
But then I had some of my meal insulin as part of the basal and cutting that
out I just can't get balance and don't know if it's the control that is the
problem or the digestion.  BTW Michelle I am taking medication, Omeprazole
and Domperidome as well as non-relevant ones (and I am trying DigestAid from
HealthyDirect which has helped sometimes).

Rant over.  Sorry this was so long.  Can anyone help me with any ideas
please.

June  PS  It's come down rapidly over the last half hour, I can feel it and
is now down to 5.7.  Doubt if I shall get round to meal time.