Re: [IPk] reply for Miriam - gluten and BG control

In message <email @ redacted>,
Jackie Jacombs <email @ redacted> writes
>Also GF
>pasta made with rice or corn or potato flour is not low GI like normal
>pasta.  The GF pizza bases are not slow absorbing either.  Potato is also
>high GI unless its roasted or chips.  All GF bread and biscuits are high GI
>and there is always so much added sugar in any GF cakes or biscuits they are
>always off the scale too.

>From my reading, I don't think it is as simple as 'this food or that
food' is high or low GI.  For two reasons.  Only around 70% of people
have that particular reaction to that particular food.  And the figures
apply to the food eaten _alone_.  Who in their right mind eats just
pizza base???? What makes the difference to speed is whether you put
loads of cheese and meats on top, or tomato and rucola.

GI is preached about as if it were as easy as CHO, and it seems to me it
it's much harder.  It's something that everyone has to experiment with,
and find for themselves what works for them.

It seems to me that 'low GI' is used as an index of virtue, where in
fact GI has no more virtue that 'temperature' - i.e. if it is the right
GI/temperature for you, at that time, then great.  But being this hot or
that cold, this or that GI has nothing in itself which is good or bad.

Cheers,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds